Here at Web Apps we currently have 12 apprentices who have been with us since September 2013. When they’re not receiving superb training at The Centre of Excellence, they work alongside our software engineering teams, developing real projects for our clients. They really seem to be enjoying their time here and love being Webbies as much as the rest of us – but don’t just take it from us, listen to what they have to say about it! I asked our apprentices some questions about their time here, and here are some of their responses:
Why did you apply for an apprenticeship with us?
- I wanted a career in software engineering – Daniel
- It’s a great opportunity to learn practical working experience as opposed to just participating in a college course – Ryan
- The wage caught my eye and I knew that this company was serious about the apprenticeship and they wanted us to be here – Haydn
What was it like joining the Web Apps team?
- After the first week I had made friends and knew it would be a great set of people to start my career with – Oliver
- A very smooth process, everyone accepts you and welcomes you – Kieran
- Everyone was really friendly and willing to help – Chris
Since you’ve joined, what’s been the most exciting thing that’s happened?
- Learning how to program, and being able to self-develop while working on individual projects – Daniel
- Learning all these new things that I never had an opportunity to learn in college or at school – Chris
- Producing my first major piece of code and running it – Oliver
What do you think is the most valuable thing you’ve learnt during your time here so far?
- Learning different programming languages, and one of the most important things is that creating a system can be very fun – William
- How to use the variety of debugging tools to find and fix errors within multiple languages – Kieran
- Everything that I have learned has been valuable towards the career I want – Samantha
What’s your plan for after this apprenticeship? Are you hoping for a permanent role with us?
- After the apprenticeship I would hopefully like to gain a career at Web Applications UK – Daniel
- Hopefully I’ll be offered a full time role in the business as it’s such a great place to work – Jack
- Having a permanent role here, or going to university to study Computer Science – William
What would you say to anyone currently considering applying for our apprenticeship roles? Would you recommend the opportunity to others?
- I would strongly recommend applying for this position. It is a great chance to learn about an exciting role – Samantha
- Grab it with both hands. It’s probably the best apprenticeship that you will be offered and you wouldn’t hate one single day of working here – Jack
- You receive real hands-on experience working in a well-known business… I would highly recommend this programme to anyone who has a passion for IT – Arslan
This positive feedback is great news, and we hope it inspires you!
With our apprenticeship scheme, we offer professional training, options for completing industry-recognised certification, and great opportunities for a real job at the end of the year-long apprenticeship – plus giving you the opportunity to work on actual projects and acquire valuable hands-on experience. All this whilst earning £150 a week and getting to be part of the fantastic atmosphere we have here, including our incredibly generous benefits package!
Does this sound like something you’re interested in? Do you know anyone considering an apprenticeship instead of university, or perhaps wanting to take a gap year in industry? Take a look at the apprenticeship section of our website for more details!